Museum Aš

Ethnography and Textile

Building No. 3

Building No. 3 on Mikulášský hill

When visitors come to the Aš Museum in Mikulášská street, many of them ask during the tour whether this building is the castle that once belonged to the House of Zedtwitz.

In fact, it is not, but somehow it happened that the building is called in that way even today.

The first unspecified residence on Mikulášský Hill was owned by the lords of Neuberg in the 14th century (from Podhradí near Aš). In 1396, after the death of the last male descendant of the house of Neuberg whose name was Conrad, the manor as well as the estate located on Mikulášský Hill in Aš, were passed over to Conrad's son-in-law - Conrad of Zedtwitz. The House of Zedtwitz possessed the lands as well as the castle on Mikulášský Hill until the 1820s. In December 1814, a fire that broke out in Aš destroyed a large part of the town as well as the castle and its surroundings. The castle of the House of Zedtwitz was not reconstructed and the burnt-out area was sold in 1821 to a stocking maker Johann Georg Unger who had a dwelling at house no. 3 built on the site of the former Zedtwitz castle. The house as well as its surroundings acquired its current appearance in 1892, when it was rebuilt by a new owner Eduard Klaubert. The family of Klaubert owned the house with a garden until 1945/1946, when they were displaced as a result of the Beneš Decrees.

On November 21 1956, the Municipal Office decided the fate of house No 3. upon the request of the department of education and culture of the municipal office, the district authority vacated the building as well as the lands around for the needs of the municipal museum. The building has served the same purpose to this present day. 

-jk-

  &  
 

Opening hours

Firehouse

Mo closed
Tue - Fr  9:00 - 12:00
  13:00 - 17:00
Sat + Sun  
1.6 - 30.9 10:00 - 16:00
1.10 - 31.5 10:00 - 14:00


Castle

Mo closed
Tue - Fr  9:00 - 12:00
  13:00 - 17:00
Sat + Sun  
1.5 - 30.9 10:00 - 16:00
1.10 - 30.4 10:00 - 14:00

Small & large Garden

Mo closed
Tue - Fr  9:00 - 17:00
Sat + Sun  
1.6 - 30.9 10:00 - 16:00
1.10 - 31.5 10:00 - 14:00

Large Garden in Winter closed!

Address & Contacts

Muzeum Aš
(Knihovna, Muzeum a Informační centrum Aš, p.o.)
Mikulášská 3
352 01 Aš / CZ

Email: j.kocisova@muzeum-as.cz
Phone: +420 354 525 195

The stone crosses research society
Email: krize@muzeum-as.cz